Anxiety is a most common psychological disorder in our lives. It is a feeling of fear, worry or unease. It can be a reaction to stress, or it can occur in people who are unable to identify significant stressors in their life.
Psychologically anxiety can cause mental or emotional symptoms such as,
- Feeling of impending doom
- Panic or nervousness
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Irrational anger
- Rapid heart rate
An estimated 75% of people in the world live with some type of anxiety disorder. Approximately 6-7% children may develop anxiety disorders and, of these 1/3 may have some phobia. School phobia occurs. In anxiety and stressful situations, most of young children will tend to react with impaired physiological functions such as feeding and sleeping disturbances, relationship disturbances with friends and family, poor school/work performance, behavioral regression to an earlier developmental stage and development of specific psychological disorders such as phobia or psychosomatic illness.
- Generalized anxiety disorder is a common anxiety disorder characterized by uncontrollable worrying. Eg: Worry about bad things happening to them or their loved ones.
- Social phobia is a condition that causes intense feelings of anxiety in situations that involve interacting with others.
Imagine I am in a group who all like guitar players and bands. I hang around them, interact with them and I ultimately learn a very comfortable way of behaving within the group. While I’m getting to know my group, there could be other groups out there that I am not getting to know, like group of classical musicians. So now if I had to get to know them, I might feel uncomfortable. I will start feeling ignorance. So that ignorance creates fear of anxiety.
This situation creates psychologically unstable. Due to this reaction of mind people tend to feel the anxiety.
Anxiety is not always bad. In the short term, they can help us to overcome challengers or dangerous situations. If we did not experience anxiety, we might not be motivated to do things that we need to do. Paying attention to the situations we were in anxiety and concentrating the situation will give us a courage to face the same situation in future. Meditation is an amazing way to overcome these types of psychological problems.
- Medically reviewed by Timothy J. Legg. PhD, CRNP on Sep 08,2016
- Dufton LM, Dunn MJ Compas BE; Anxiety and somatic complaints in children with recurrent abdominal pain and anxiety disorders.
Read Surprising Symptoms of Stress we should Identify to make your life easier.